Wednesday 18 January 2012

Magic moments

I am constantly astounded by new technology.  We have digital cameras, camcorders, mobile phones, ipads and they all enable us to capture images of our lives, the people we are with and our experiences but nothing can capture the true magic moments of life.  Often you have to be still, you have to be completely in the moment to even experience it.  Like sitting still and stroking your child’s hair, a smile between soul mates, a shared understanding with a close friend, you can actually have a physically reaction to the love, your tummy might summersault, your heart might feel like it will burst, you feel light, your body gets flooded with joy and appreciation.  What makes these magically moments so special is they cannot be replicated, they cannot be captured, they are fleeting, like a butterfly landing on your hand, it cannot be predicted, you have to stop right there and then and experience it, and what a gift it is.


I love photos, I have way too many and want millions more.  I also have a camcorder but rarely use it because I actually want to be in the special moments not just recording them.  It is my New Years resolution to just experience the magic while it is happening, and it happens every day all around us, rather than being determined to capture, analyse, organise, predict or orchestrate.  Let’s see how I go.


My favourite quote of the moment is “One day I will look back and smile, because this is life and I decided to live it”.  This is so powerful.  Everything we do in life, whether it is making a bed, washing the dishes, paying the bills, catching up with friends, going to work it is all life and we can decide how we approach it.  Nothing is so serious that it is worth stress, worry, ulcers or heart attacks because one day you will look back and smile (hopefully).  Don’t get me wrong, I am a stresser, when I have something to organise that I feel very responsible for I get myself into a frenzied state on the inside, and then when it works out I am euphoric, I burn a lot of emotional energy at those times, but it is always my desire to become more at peace at all times, but I have a long way to go (just ask my husband how I responded when driving home from Dubbo after Christmas only to almost run out of fuel at Condamine and the fuel station wasn’t going to be open until the next day, I was not at peace).


When my daughters were outside playing with bubbles it got me daydreaming, bubbles are captivating, as they float through the air reflecting all the beautiful colours of the world.  I would like my life to be like a bubble; light, happy, free and beautiful right up until the day I go ‘pop’ – hopefully not literally.  Just like bubbles, we never know when that day might be so it is so important to make the most of each wonderful day we have here on earth.  I think it also helps to think of our children, spouses, parents, siblings and friends lives as bubbles.  They might not always be here so we should make every effort to appreciate and enjoy them whenever we are with them.  Not grab them and take control of them, because they will pop, but to stop and enjoy them completely.  Bubbles are very much like magic moments, you can not capture them, their beauty is fleeting and can only be enjoyed right there and then.

So here is to 2012, a year of smiles, bubbles and magic moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment